How Can I Boost My Mobile Hotspot Signal?
Call them what you want: Jetpack, Mifi, Mofi, AirCard, Cradlepoint router, usb internet stick, mobile WiFi... these are all essentially 4G routers that use the same technology.
They are mobile hotspot devices that use cellular signals & data (4G, LTE, 3G) to create a personal WiFi for your cell phone, tablet, and laptop.
It's not a matter of MiFi vs. Wifi, but a matter of convenience.
What is a Mobile Hotspot?
A mobile hotspot is basically a WiFi connection that comes from your phone, or dedicated device. You're able to connect to this WiFi from multiple devices.
Think of a mobile hotspot as portable WiFi. This is fantastic for connecting a laptop, tablet, or game machine to the net while on the go.
How Does a Hotspot Work?
A hotspot works by taking existing cell signal and converting it to WiFi.
Essentially, your cell phone uses the same signal it always does and rebroadcasts it as WiFi. Bear in mind that using your phone as a hotspot can eat away at your data quickly, especially as more devices use the connection.
Why is My Hotspot Slow?
Your hotspot is slow because of bad cell service.
While the ability to connect anywhere and everywhere is the biggest highlight of using a hotspot, there is a big limitation beyond just data usage.
When the incoming cellular signal is good, then yes, your hotspot WiFi performs as fast as any broadband landline internet.
When it doesn't?
- Spotty WiFi connection
- Slow internet speeds
- Dropped VoIP (Voice over IP) calls
- Several minutes to load a single page
- Limited streaming range
Lucky for you, there's a solution.
It's called a hotspot signal booster. It boosts the 4G signal coming to your hotspot.
How to Make Your Hotspot Faster
The best method is a hotspot signal booster.
A hotspot signal booster (also known as cell phone signal booster or cellular repeater) takes the incoming cell signal, amplifies it, and then rebroadcasts the signal to an area in need (i.e. your hotspot router).
It does this with 3 components:
- The Outside Antenna pulls in cellular signal.
- The Amplifiers boosts cellular signal up to 32x.
- The Inside Antenna rebroadcasts the stronger signal to an area in need.
Stronger 4G, LTE, and 3G means better internet connection, faster streaming data, consistent service, and wider coverage area.
Depending if your hotspot has a port or adapter for an external antenna, with the right connector you might be able to DIRECTLY connect to the amplifier for maximum signal boost.
So what are the guarantees?
- Works for all carrier hotspots (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.)
- Works for all cellular devices (MiFi, cell phones, tablets, notebook, etc.)
- One time purchase, no monthly fees
- Independent device, does not need to be connected to landline internet
- Better signal or 90-day money back guarantee
Below are our top choices for improving hotspots ranging from home to car to commercial use. Start boosting your WiFi hotspot signal instantly:
Hotspot Booster for Home
The Best Hotspot Signal Booster for Home
- Up to 5,000 sq. ft. of enhanced cellular coverage under best conditions
- Up to +65 dB of gain, with 21 dBm uplink and 12 dBm downlink
- Multiple accessories for maximum coverage and customization (sold separately)
- Complete coverage for multiple rooms or midsize home for all carriers across multiple devices
- Outdoor yagi antenna and indoor panel antenna configuration, with stylish fabric front
The weBoost Home MultiRoom is designed to cover several rooms, an entire floor, or a whole midsize, one-story home with boosted cell signal for your hotspot.
The average home size in North America is around 2,500 sq ft. Under absolute best conditions, the Home MultiRoom covers up to 5,000 sq ft with great outside signal and an open-spaced layout home.
Real world results and customer reviews put it around 2,500 to 3,000 sq ft, a little less for rural areas.
Great option for most homes, small offices, farm houses, and buildings under 5,000 sq ft wide. If you're getting some spotty reception, we'd recommend to start with this first since this tends to be the Goldilocks or "just right" model.
If you live in an extremely weak signal area, or have a really big house you want to cover, consider its sister product, the weBoost Home Complete.
- Up to 7,500 sq. ft. of coverage under best conditions
- Up to +72 dB of gain, with 24 dBm uplink and 12 dBm downlink
- Multiple accessories for maximum coverage and customization (sold separately)
- Complete coverage for entire home for all carriers across multiple devices
- Outdoor yagi antenna and indoor panel antenna, with stylish fabric front
The weBoost Home Complete is absolutely the most powerful consumer line booster you can get. With an additional +5 dB over the Home MultiRoom, it's roughly a shade over 3x more powerful.
Best case scenarios can expect better cell coverage up to 7,500 sq ft. More likely results can at least expect 4,000-5,000 sq ft even with below average outside signal. Again, fringe zones can expect a little less.
It features an aesthetically pleasing design to fit in with typical home decor.
If you have extremely poor cell signal for your hotspot (remote area) or need wide coverage for a building 5,000 sq ft and over like a warehouse, the weBoost Home Complete is your new best friend. Best of all, it can connect directly to any dedicated hotspot device you might be using as your primary internet service provider.
1-2 room coverage:
Improves cellular coverage up to 1,500 sq ft.
- High-powered range: Up to +60 dB gain for 32X stronger signal.
The weBoost Home Room is a nice cheap option if you're on a budget and only need spot coverage for your hotspot.
Depending on the outside signal, you may get a 1-2 room improvement under best conditions. But you're not here because of best conditions, so it's more realistic to say desktop to small room coverage (about 250 to 500 sq ft).
Most customers have told us they're much closer to the inside antenna than anticipated for better signal. Great option for single office, home office (SOHO) and small areas like cabins and apartments. Good starter kit if you have decent outside signal but doesn't cover the whole home and not a strong performer in rural areas with poor signal.
Hotspot Signal Boosters For Cars and Other Vehicles
The best Hotspot Signal Booster for Car
- Up to +50 dB of gain - the max allowed for a mobile signal booster in North America
- Highest uplink output of any vehicle booster
- Works for all phones and all carriers, including hotspots
- Sleek, metallic exterior designed to displace excess heat for peak performance
- Better talk, text, and data speeds guaranteed
The weBoost Drive Reach is the newest, most powerful vehicle booster from Wilson Electronics, and is an ace at boosting signal for your hotspot.
A slim outside antenna picks up signal. A discreet inside antenna (usually Velcroed to the driver seat) broadcasts signal inside. You have to be about an arm's length to get the boosted signal, so it's best for your typical sedan, truck, or SUV.
This is the best booster no matter where you live, as not only does it reach farther to the cell towers for rural areas, but it does a better job handling more noisy, urban environments than other hotspot signal boosters on the market.
- Boosts Voice, Text Message, 3G & 4G LTE Data
- For multiple cell devices
- Up to +50 dB Gain
The weBoost Drive X has 2x the uplink power compared to the Drive 4G, but less performance than the Drive Reach. At $50 less, however, it's still a good option if you're on a budget.
- Boosts Voice, Text Messages, 4G, LTE, and 3G Data
- For a single smartphone
- Up to +23 dB Gain
The weBoost Drive Sleek is about price and performance for the single user.
It uses a magnetic vent mount and when paired with a bluetooth headset, it really shines for regular talk & text and hands-free navigation.
Smartphone has to be in the cradle to get maximum signal boost for hotspot use. New design allows for wider smartphones and small tablets, but may not fit all hotspot devices.
Hotspot Booster for Commercial Buildings
Up to 25,000 sq. ft.
- Boosts voice, text message, 3G & 4G LTE data
- Works for multiple cell devices
- Works with all carriers, networks, and phones
- Up to +70 dB Gain
- Great for urban areas
There are many cellular solutions for buildings with a range from 25K to 100K sq ft. This model happens to be the sweet spot with best coverage up to 25,000 sq ft. Many of our professional installers and their enterprise customers have been happy with this one.
- FREE shipping, no minimum purchase.
- 30 Day money back guarantee.
- Lifetime support.
How to Improve Weak Cell Phone Signal for Your Hotspot
Wilson Amplifiers is the leading provider of cell phone signal boosters. Cell phone boosters amplify cell signal for any phone for any carrier for home, office, or vehicle.
We seriously hate dropped calls and poor coverage, and it's our mission to educate people on ridding it from their lives:
- Free consultation (ask us anything) with our US-based customer support (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call us at 1-800-568-2723.
- Free shipping.
- Better signal or industry-leading 90 money-back guaranteed. No questions asked.
- We want everyone to be satisfied, so we provide lifetime technical support and a 2-year warranty for all products.
Ask us anything and we'll be glad to help.